Cybercrime is now one of the most popular types of crime in the decade. According to the FBI, there was a loss of more than $3.5 Billion as a result of cybercrimes, affecting the economy of the nation. In addition, around half a million complaints were registered to them in 2019. You can click here for more security and cybercrime statistics that the average person can face. You may not be surprised to know that many people become victims of this act and face a huge loss as a result.
Types of Cyber Crimes and their preventions
There are a few types of cybercrimes that we see commonly happening to everyone around us. A few of them are listed below.
This is the most common crime happening on the internet. This leads to a lot of credit card clonings, carding and stuff. This is the easiest way to get some personal details of the victim. Basically you enter your personal credentials on a fake / cloned website and the information you entered gets stored in the attacker’s server.
How to stay safe from it?
- Don’t enter credit card details on any site. Try to use virtual cards.
- Always check for the site reputation and history of that website.
- Don’t purchase or signup on random websites.
- Don’t use sites not having that green Padlock.
Fake Mails Frauds
Many times you get random emails to submit your card details or to get reward points. You may get game invitations like fake casino games, play poker online and earn millions, etc. Most of them are fake. They might send you a phishing link to get your personal details.
How to prevent fake mail frauds?
- Always make sure the email is from your trusted sender.
- Check if the mail is SSL / TLS protected.
- Don’t click on the links if it doesn’t look professional, or mail has spelling mistakes.
- Verify the mail twice if it says it’s from the bank giving reward points or vouchers.
- Play Poker or Casino games from trusted sources like Lucky Nugget casino or BitStarz
This is basically a virus getting installed on a computer, it happens to normal people to MNC companies. It starts from downloading something from an unsecured source and it corrupts your system. The only option you are left with is to pay the ransom to get data or clean install your operating system again.
How to prevent Ransomware?
- Avoid downloading software or pirated stuff from random websites and torrents.
- Always use a licensed anti-virus.
- Use licensed operating systems, and stay updated.
This one has been famous for a long time. People call victims and convey a fake story that ‘Your ATM card is blocked’, ‘Your internet banking is disabled’ etc. and tries to get credentials from the user.
How to stay safe from Bank frauds?
- Always remember, banks never call regarding such things.
- Never share your personal credentials or OTP to anyone.
- Report a complaint if you get any calls like this.
This was all about staying safe from cybercrimes. Only you can protect yourself by being a step ahead. Share this article with all your friends and family to keep them safe.